Pages

Thursday 11 June 2020

DFI Sixth Blog Post


Kia ora koutou,

Today's learning was all about enabling access-sites.

We began by going into our Digital Bubbles and discussed what did and didn't work well from last week's learning. I reflected on how I'm feeling more confident creating and using Google Sites.

Next we focused on the 'connect' aspect of the Manaiakalani Kaupapa which highlights the importance of connectivity in peoples' well-being. Thankfully, during our recent lockdown due to Covid-19, we were easily able to stay connected due to the internet which enabled us to have meetings with our students, our colleagues, family and friends. I know that it was vital for the well-being of my students that attended our online meetings and lessons and it was really obvious when we returned to school as the students who had attended the meetings seemed more connected with each other.

It is important to note that the connect aspect of the Manaiakalani Kaupapa is intrinsically related to three other elements-those of being: ubiquitous, empowered and visible.

We then had a chalk 'n talk which looked at important aspects of visible learning sites. These included the use of  visible planning and teaching and rewindable learning. We were then given tips on effective ways to present our learning sites.These included consistency through all year groups, theme, layout fonts, functionality and access (the three click rule).

After that we had a deep dive exploring a selection of class sites, looking at two key criteria-visual appeal and user experience.

Next we went back to our bubbles to look at each others' class sites and offer feedback. Some of the sites were incredible and had lots of great ideas I can incorporate into my own sites. The main thing I'm keen on doing is creating buttons that link to scaffolded levels of work for Reading, Writing and Maths. 

We then created goals for our class sites to work on today and spent time working on them. I wanted to add more content to the Reading section of my class site so added buttons for our Reading Groups, Education Perfect, Write that essay, Steps and Audio-books. My next step will be to add the daily and weekly learning activities to this page. I haven't quite figured out the best format to use for this but am getting ideas from other peoples' sites.

We finished the day getting some hot tips about the Hāpara Sharing Tab as well as adding a Side Bar Gadget to Blogs.

It's been another productive/informative day here on the DFI course. I found exploring other peoples' class sites to be extremely valuable. They have given me plenty of ideas and I shall be spending more time exploring these sites, implementing the ideas into my own sites. 

Ka kite anō

Sean. 



4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Sean
    I agree with your comment about connectivity and the link to well being especially over the Covid-19 lockdown. I felt the power of it today when Dorothy was presenting. I also agree that exploring others sites is a great way to learn. I found myself looking at our class sites with a more critical view and decided the feedback form will be very useful for us to use too to help us self and peer evaluate. I see you already have some side bars installed on your blog so I will endeavor to do something with mine as well now that we have had help with how to. Thanks for sharing. Kia kaha Kataraina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Sean,
    I also agree with your comment about connections and the importance of this. I found it really interesting during lockdown I connected more with friends of mine who I don't usually connect with regularly - and it was so great to be able to do this! As Kataraina has said, looking at other sites is a great way to get ideas and inspiration! Have you ever asked your students for feedback on your site?
    Ngā mihi
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Vicky,

    That is a fab idea re student feedback on the class site - I shall seek their opinions!
    Ngā mihi
    Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Sean,
    Great to hear you are feeling more confident in using google sites.
    I look forward to seeing the results of your weekly reading content on the site. Nothing quite like personalised content for leaners.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete