Pages

Thursday 18 June 2020

DFI Seventh Blog Post






Kia ora koutou,

Today's learning was all about devices. 

We began the day with looking at the 'empowerment' aspect of the Manaiakalni kaupapa and the concept of being cyber-smart. Three important categories of this that are revisited regularly are: Smart Learners (learn), Smart Footprint (create) and Smart Relationships (share). Blogging is obviously an ideal process in which to incorporate these key concepts. The main objective of empowering is to enable learners to become 'confident, connected, actively involved life-long learners'.

Next we went  into our Digital Bubbles and discussed what did and didn't work well from last week's learning. It was heartening to see the progress others' have made on their sites. I reflected on how it was great to spend more time (during the DFI session) adding to my class site and getting ideas from others’ sites. 

We then had an in depth look at the Hapara Teacher Dashboard. Although I was already aware of the features we explored it was an excellent refresher! After that we looked at Hapara Dashboard. I wasn't aware of the guided reading function which is a handy feature. 

Next we had an introduction to devices. This included looking at enabling learners to participate, making sure they are protected, providing the very best device for learning, and the importance of teachers and students being fluent in the use of these devices. 

We then went to our bubbles and completed activities on a digital digs presentation.

After that we explored the use of iPads and had several tasks to complete. My school is chromebook-based but it was interesting to have a glimpse into the iPad world. 

Next we had a session we we could choose between three activities. I chose to create a screencastify as I've never done this before and it's an excellent tool which I'm sure I can use regularly on my class site. After a couple of teething issues I managed to complete my first screencastify.



Next time I'll try using the pen and the focus mouse. 

We finished the day by looking at how to embed a video into a blog and I embedded the  screencastify I did today (see above). 

It's been another productive/informative day here on the DFI course and I'm excited about now feeling confident using screencastify as well as being more familiar with shortcut keys on a chromebook. 

Ka kite anō,

Sean. 

3 comments:

  1. Ka pai e hoa with the potae! Great to read your summation of today's session on Devices. Worthwhile learning to take back to our classes no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Sean,

    Another great post! Thanks for sharing your key thoughts from the day. Screencastify is a fabulous tool! It can be used for so many different things. I'd hate to try and do without it. Where do you see it fitting into your classes?
    Ngā mihi
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Sean,

    I agree, the time to play, learn and put into practice during the DFI day is a gift. Glad you are making the most if it.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete